- This is for you, Terry Vaughan! ()
- Greetings from the Tardy Blogger ()Heidi Ho!! It's been a long time since I've been here to visit. A good friend of Chuck's, Bob Mitchell, named me the Tardy Blogger since I haven't updated in such a long time. Chuck and Bob have ... [more]
- Here, There and Everywhere ()Heidi Ho Neighbors!!! Hope everyone is doing well and getting your plans together for the summer time. As I'm sure you all know, Lyn graduated from University of Florida recently. She will be doing ... [more]
- When it Pours...It's Raines ()Drip.....Drip....Drip..... The leaks were evident early on. But the dam held up despite the constant wave of pressure. Then it happened. At about the 1:38 mark of the First Quarter, the flood began. ... [more]
- Eastside Story ()It took Broadway by storm in 57. The Leonard Bernstein musical West Side Story spun a tale of a battle between rival gangs in the hardscrabble backstreets of New York. Fast forward 56 years and the ... [more]
- The Loneliest Number ()Harry Nilsson was right. The legendary singer/songwriter penned the song and placed it in his 1967 album entitled Aerial Ballet. Three Dog Night released it two years later in their debut album and ... [more]
The Rites..(or Rights) of Spring Football
The Rites of Spring:
Flowers blooming. Birds chirping. Alergies flaring.
The Rights of Spring Football:
These are the God-given rights of football fans everywhere, and particularly Tornado fans as Spring Football practice is underway.
1) YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO GET FIRED UP OVER THE SMELL OF FRESH CUT GRASS
There is just something about the smell of a practice field after the mowers have done their work. It is an aroma that triggers the football impulse in the brain.
2) YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE OVER-THE-TOP OPTIMISTIC ABOUT YOUR TEAM
Tornado fans have every reason to be crunked-up, as kids say these days. Former Bradford great Steve Reynolds has received a great reception as new Head Coach from Scarlet and Grey aficionados who appreciate his blue collar approach and his love for all things Tornado. Forget about the right to remain silent. Spring is the perfect time to voice wild optimism about the 2012 campaign since the real season opener is still over 3 months away. Go ahead-predict a District championship or even better. If you turn out to be correct, you can strut and spout off to all who scoffed. If you turn out to be wrong, chances are most will have forgotten about your bravado three months from now anyway.
3) YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE BUMMED THAT A FOOTBALL VOID IS ABOUT TO BEGIN
Enjoy Spring Football practice while you can and soak up the spirit, because the feeling is going to have to sustain you for awhile. Make sure you are at "The Dave" on May 25th for the 7 pm Spring Jamboree against Fleming Island. Your next chance for a football fix won't come until August 24 when the Tornadoes take on Union County in the Fall Kickoff Classic. Might as well ditch the pigskin cravings this Summer in favor of America's Pastime. My Braves may be just the ticket to help cure football withdrawals until then.